Friday, August 30, 2002

The Friday Five

1. What's your favorite piece of clothing that you currently own?

My swimsuit. I know, it's weird. I just like how near naked I feel when I swim and I like how comfortable my speedo is, i.e., it keeps my boobs from knocking around. Other than that, I've got a really comfortable pair of Clark sandals. They aren't pretty, but they're really super comfortable. I'm going to be sad when the first frost hits and I can't wear them til next May. Seasons are a bitch I'd like to slap.

2. What piece of clothing do you most want to acquire?

Beautiful batik dresses.

3. What piece of clothing can you not bring yourself to get rid of? Why?

Size 10 Turquoise silk dress from Saks Fifth Avenue. I bought it when I was in San Francisco at the Saks on Union Square. It was the first dress I'd ever spent over $30 on. It was $100 at the time and that was 18 years ago, when $100 meant more. It's still perfect. I think it represents a terrible time in my life and if I can't burn the pictures, then I can't get rid of that dress. We have a large fireplace though and I'm thinking it'll be a long winter with those pictures and my husband would gladly hold my hand while I torched every single one of them.

4. What piece of clothing do you look your best in?

I look fantastic in my $200 navy suit from Macy's. I look so corporate, it'd scare most anyone. I look slim, trim and efficient. I'll have to get it back on and show you one of these days, but I think I'm too fat. (I can't apply for another job, I can't fit into my suit!) I also look great in dresses that have a bodice of some kind and a flared skirt on the bottom. The dress I get the most comments on is one I made, but it's in a heap in the closet. (I hate ironing!)

5. What has been your biggest fashion accident?

About the time I wore a babydoll dress that I didn't realize had shrunk (thanks, honey!) that was way too short and bent over. I had an officemate say something about seeing way too much. I immediately left the office and went and bought a skirt and shirt at the mall at that EXACT moment, due to excessive mortification. You have to understand that that was back when my only mirror was one of those up on the wall over the medicine cupboard over the sink jobs where you can see your boobs and that's it. I've also had the old "dress stuck in the pantyhose show the world my underwear experience." I had thought that only fat chicks had that, but then I had to stop some poor skinny soul at UCD and walk behind her into the bathroom because she'd done the same thing.

No comments: