Monday, August 05, 2002

I'm having a hard time sleeping lately because baby girl doesn't sleep. We can't quite figure out what's going on in her small world that makes her wake up between the hours of 3 and 5AM screaming a bloodcurdling cry, but you can be assured she is not curdling milk, as I am not the proud owner of cottage cheese, but rather red-rimmed eyes. We're going to try putting the fan on low in her room to screen out any outside noise that might be awakening her, and if that fails, there's always tequila.

We had friends over on Saturday night and it was fun. We were watching Scooby-Doo with the kids and playing Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. At about 10PM, I kicked them out because I was literally nodding off in my chair. I waved good night and crawled into bed. I have no idea when my husband joined me because I was out cold.

The cool thing about having house guests is that we cleaned. I have a clean house. I also have a cleaned up yard. I am starting a compost bucket, but with all the weeds in our yard, it's already nearly full. I have to find the recipe for making compost work. I want to have a butt-load of compost available by next summer because I'm going to have a kick-butt garden. You should be aware of the fact that I already have a kick-butt garden. I have sugar peas that melt in your mouth and taste like candy. I have tomato and pepper plants that are covered in ripening fruit. I have strawberry plants that are so robust they are spawning runners. I have bush basil that has bushed up into a lovely clump and I have pole beans that are spiraling up trellises and poles. And while I am still trying to figure out the fine art of lawn, I can grow vegetables, so I'm very hopeful about my ability to compost.

If nothing else, the bullshit around my house ought to fertilize things perfectly.

No comments: