Thursday, August 08, 2002

Well, I've been gaining weight lately. I'll grant you I've managed to do something at least once or twice a week -- walking, swimming, but it's not enough. I have to go more. Working long horrible hours, makes my desire to exercise very very dim due to the fact that I have more of a desire to sleep. But last night, I not only got sleep, but I also walked. This morning, I got up before work and hit the pool.

Despite the muscle soreness, I feel like a Goddess. I am woman, hear me splash!

The cat ate another bird yesterday, too...it was still chirping when he brought it in. I mentioned it on a chat board and got lambasted for "inflicting" my predator upon the world. I feel otherwise. Some dipshit (an irresponsible guy who ditches his kid on the neighbors at will) inflicted his hutch bunnies on us because we have these feral bunnies bouncing all over the place. My cat kills birds, which he'd do that regardless of our neighborhood, but more specifically, he also kills bunnies. But he also marks his territory and I haven't seen one of those rabbits in my fenced-in backyard and garden since we moved in. I saw that something had nibbled on my evening primrose, but it is right by the gate, so I think some bunny stuck it's head it, got a couple nibbles and got out. I think it's a bummer that Cowboy kills birds, but he kills a lot less birds than he does bunnies and killing bunnies when they are so prolific is a good thing in this area of the world.


I have done a lot to discourage the bunnies. I put up fence, used bloodmeal in the soil preparation, planted with marigolds, and yes, I've put my kitty out. And I actually have a garden I can eat from. When it's between me and the birds and rabbits in my garden, I'd rather it be me. I freeze, can, and use all the food I produce in my yard, and I am composting everything else to be used again next year. Producing food for my family is important and while it is a small garden, it is a garden. I've got a lot of crops coming up that I'll be able to use later.

I guess despite all that, I am sad for the robin Cowboy killed yesterday, but being that he doesn't differentiate between birds and bunnies and I'm glad he's killing rabbits, I'll get over it. I do think though that the suggestion of a bell on him is a good idea. The rabbits have a good fear of the back yard now and that should get us through the growing season.

And despite my beliefs, apparently Cowboy did not kill the catbird on the ground in front of the garage. It had a broken neck, no blood, and had retained it's head, which means the wind gusts we were having the other day probably bounced it off the garage.

Criminy, between the wind and the cat...we'll bring down that songbird population. Yeesh!



No comments: