Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Last night, my husband said,"Hey, wanna watch a meteor shower?" We shut off all the house lights and sat out front for a while craning our necks and decided that the neighbor across the street with the big bright spotlight was a nuisance and headed out back. We'd only seen one each out front, but going out back with the reduced light and better view, we saw probably close to 15-20 in an hour.

As we were sitting out there holding hands and pointing to the sky, Mike said,"Well, now we know why TV was invented. This is slow." I felt impatient, too. I moved my chair out a little bit from the house to expand my sky and got a huge one streaking across the sky right directly over our heads. I tried to point it out to Mike and as I pointed this enormous streak that seemed to start at the horizon and poof out of site overhead blazed on past.

I went swimming this morning and between shooting stars and exercise, I feel so much better today. Yesterday, a co-worker looked at me and said, "I don't know what's wrong, but anyone can see that you are very upset." I don't think I could begin to fully articulate all the "wrong" I was feeling, but she was right. I miss my kids. A lot. Genny's getting so big, and so is Russell and they're both such awesome kids. Genny's such an armful...she's so TWO. I looked at Russell yesterday and I swear I saw him grow. I told him he looked different to me, like he'd grown. He's been working so hard in the past week to eat, he glowed when I told him and got so excited. I told him I'd been afraid to buy him school clothes because he didn't really need them right now and had been buying decent jeans online for him. I said that I really hoped that I get to buy him some new jeans soon. I already bought him a few new shirts, but shirts can hang off them a little.

Russell and I were talking about him going out for football. He said he didn't think he'd like to get tackled. I told him that you have to wear a lot of pads and that that makes it easier. I also said as small and fast as he is, that he'd make a good quarterback, who is someone who doesn't get tackled much, but that he'd had to learn to throw the ball. We talked some more and we're going to find a football or buy one and I promised to start playing catch with him. My dad did that with me and I have fond memories of that. My mom swears up and down that my dad wasn't there much, but I have a lot of memories of when he was there. I hope Russell has the same.

Genny was really sweet last night. She really likes to help. It's kind of a bitch that she does that sometimes because she'll try to help you with something and foul it mercilessly, but if you can channel her, it's a wonderful thing. Last night, she found a sponge outside left from cleaning the car and she was wiping down tables and chairs outside. At first, Russell was scolding her against it, but I told him she's not hurting anything, let her wipe. Then they wiped down the kitchen table together and Russell was showing her "his" technique. It was really cute as all get out.

Last night, because I was getting home so late, I just made dinner...at Taco bell. 5 tacos, a bean buritto and ain't we got fun! Russell always freaks about his food being just so. He loathes sauce of any kind on his tacos, so when they asked, "Hot or Mild?" Russell was losing it in the back seat because he thought they were going to put sauce on his taco. I was trying to order over him losing it in the back seat. I told him that it's just packets of sauce and that I knew he didn't like sauce. (Trust me, after just one "losing it" episode in the backseat, you'd never forget.) Russell got stuck in this thing about his latest food hatred: blueberry pancakes. I don't know what kind of lunatic hates blueberry pancakes, yet loves blueberry muffins, but he used to scarf them down and now, he'd just rather eat cereal. I told him he'd have to eat them and just be quiet about it, if they got made because everyone else loves them and he's just one person. He got miffed that we wouldn't change our culinary habits for him, but as a diabetic, berries I can eat LOTS of, so I do.

I told him that I thought he was feeding me a lot of Hooey, but he assured me that he's always hated blueberry pancakes. Oddly enough, he's not only eaten them before, but he's had seconds. I finally said that I was in no condition to give a rat's pitooty about his newly announced hatred of blueberry pancakes and that we were eating tacos for dinner anyhow. Then we got to talking about the things I appreciate most about him, which I told him was how much he'd been helping his Dad and I out with housework. We went home and he cleared the table and watered the plants, while I did 3 days of dishes, my husband had been ignoring.

My husband rectified that with starwatching though.


No comments: