Monday, August 05, 2002

This job is a bad fit. Never mind that the hours are relentless, but it's just not turning out very well for me. I am looking forward to taking two classes in the fall. One class is a brush up on HTML that goes over scripting and does some intense style sheeting. I can do some of that stuff, but I'd like to be better at it and I'm getting sorely out of practice. The other class is a VB class and that is much more promising. I am hoping that between the two, I can get to programming ASP, which is then something I could do at the same company for more money, or some other company for more money. At this point, I'm not picky.

I miss working for the university. Nothing like a gubment job -- not to be confused with gubment cheese either, mind you. I really like that sense of feeling at service. Working for a company where all my work contributes to some already rich guy's increasing wealth simply doesn't do much for me. (to country western music,"Ooooh, I'm a bleeding heart liberal....") As a co-worker on the threshold of leaving this company in the face of $50/hour in overtime says,"Money isn't everything."

I wish we didn't have all the student loan debt because then I'd just stay at home and cook, sew, and garden. If I could convert where I live to a viable organic farm, now, that'd be really cool. I just haven't figured out the best way to get rid of sagebrush, yet. Although, on the composting site I was on, they said if you get a chipper and chip your composting materials that it is the best route to go in composting. Bulldozer and a chipper...and then I'd be all set.

Yup, gotta love me some heavy equipment. Yesterday, my husband mentioned that we could use a chainsaw to take down the sagebrush and I swear I was all aflutter. What's truly scary to me in a weird way is that I know I'd feel totally comfortable renting a bulldozer and tearing things up. Scary, isn't it?




No comments: