Monday, August 08, 2005

There is something really odd about how tweenagers talk -- it's so awkward -- just like that transition from the constant peeping of baby chicks to the voice-breaking cock-a-doodle doo of the rooster becoming. Somehow, so much gets lost in the translation. In their hurry to grow up, they often miss the important points of the conversations around them.

My son had been convinced that the new dress code that the school was instating this year in middle and high schools said that he couldn't wear a blue or red shirt. Upon arrival at his school, I thought that was odd considering that the school colors are blue,that during spirit week, kids are going to want to where their school colors, and that they were selling blue sweatshirts at today's registration. My mother had knitted me mittens, made me shirts, and all kinds of things, so I could dress for games, so it simply made no sense. I was passing up really cool shirts because they were red or blue and it was pissing me off. I mean, I might never have been able to wear underroos, but I'll be cranky if the kids can't. :)

I figured that substantially narrowed the field of clothing I could purchase to grays and whites and other light colors, and not have to stain stick into next year. And what about burgundy? Would that be considered red? Or turquoise? Is that blue?

So, in a fit of desperation, I found the school'sdress code. It says no red or blue shoe laces. Not a damned thing about any color of shirt -- they just can't be showing shoulders, cleavage, or bellies. Well, duh. Like I was going to let my kid out of the house wearing that kind of trash anyhow.

I'm going to go back to living vicariously through my children and I'm buying a Spiderman shirt and a Fantastic 4 shirt, just to be a butt.

No comments: