Friday, August 05, 2005

I'm tired and I didn't really do much until noon.

Miss Thing is sick with a bad cold and basically, her brother set her up on the couch with the Scooby-Doo marathon on Cartoon Network, and when I went out to check on her, she was out cold, asleep on the couch. Please understand, my little girl is much like her mother in that she goes until she drops dead from exhaustion and unlike her mother, she never ever takes a nap unless she's absolutely forced to.

That is one damned sick kid, is all I know.

So, at about 130, I woke her up and we drove up to the big city near us and had lunch with Daddy. While we were there, we met up with LaDawn, who'd sung at a funeral and needed to get water park tickets from Mike's work. So I ordered her lunch, gave the keys to Mike to go back to work. We shopped a little at the market down the hill so I could get ingredients for dinner, and then drove over to Mike's work, bought tickets, and I picked up my car. Then I went to Walmart to grab a birthday present for LaDawn's son's birthday party tomorrow, and I shopped for a few patterns of dresses, pants, and jumpers for Genny to wear to school. I found some cheap fabric that would make pretty stuff and then bolted home.

At home, I had a Garlic Extravaganza.

I took about two big heads of garlic, three large skinless boneless chicken breasts, shallots, vermouth, white wine, fresh lemon thyme, lemon zest, parsley and mushrooms. I cooked up the chicken, then added the other stuff in and let it simmer. Then I made the best damned garlic relish ever -- a head of parsely, at least a quarter cup of garlic, a pinch of salt, and two teaspoons of vinegar in the food processor. After you grind it into mush, you put it in a bowl with enough olive oil to cover and serve it with bread. I made garlic bread. I also made whole wheat rigatoni with broccoli and parmesan cheese to serve the chicken over. We served a salad, but we never ended up eating it.

I hung out with Sarah and LaDawn and fed everyone and then started burning CD's for LaDawn, and one of them is very fucked up, so I'm not looking forward to telling her that tomorrow.

Tomorrow, Mike goes to work and I spend the day with LaDawn, supervising kids at a birthday party at the water park. I'm already tired and it's not even tomorrow yet! While there, we'll meet up with the boy's best friend, who just got back from Mexico. His folks are older and not the kinds of people you'd find at the water park with the kids, so I think Russell and he are going to be thrilled to see each other.

It should be a mind-blasting-eye-popping-thigh-melting-exhausting-day-from-hell for the parents, but loads of fun for the kids.

No comments: