Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Okay, to finish where I was going, when I was so lovingly interrupted by my spouse...Hey, baby, you are a GREAT kisser. We have a date a week from Friday for all night marital relations.

I think God should be praised, and I also think that there are a lot of people struggling with meaning in their lives and how to make God part of their lives. It's not that people are stupid, they just want to understand the particulars of the where-when-how-who-what turning point when others are making that leap of faith, so that they can make it themselves and so that they can share the experience in some way.

I think churches are where people share that experience, often, but I also think that sometimes those big shares are when it's one person to another and not necessarily under the roof of organized religion.

Thus, I think Christian music is missing something. Yeah, of course, God is a wonderful pure love kind of being, worthy of praise, but I guess I'd be interested to hear Christian music that told a story -- kind of like Tracy Chapman or Mary Chapin Carpenter. And every so often you hear one, but I guess I want more. And I know the worship songs at a lot of these new-wave churches are of the white people butt-shakin' variety, but I guess I want more soul in music about one's soul, you know? I want more story with my glory, baby.

Maybe my forays into Christian music are too limited to be having this thought process, but if South Park can that accurately lampoon the genre, then perhaps it's a thought.

No comments: