Monday, June 20, 2005

Genny had a rough night. She couldn't hold anything down, even after they gave her anti-nausea meds, so they started an IV.

I talked with Mike periodically through the night, when I finally fell asleep about 430AM. We talked at 730 and he said he thought they might be coming home, but didn't know. At 930, he called and said he could drive just fine and would be home soon and got home just shy of 10.

They said it was some kind of viral thing. She held down everything she ate today, and we gave her one last dose of anti-nausea stuff tonight before she sees the pediatrician, tomorrow.

Everyone, but Bear, slept all day. I somehow thought that I was going to get up and do all this stuff and then promptly fell asleep in the easy chair in the livingroom because it was hot sandwiched between the fevered Genny and the exhausted heavily snoring Mike.

I got a shower about 430PM.

At 8PM, Mike and I got stuff planted in the garden and chased the "wild chicken" back in her coop because a couple of the tomato plants looked like she'd been pruning them, in her search for food. One of the tomatoes looked liked she'd scratched it into next week, and another had a lot of missing leaf edges. No self-respecting rabbit or squirrel is going to chow down on an evening shade relative, so we figured it had to be her, scratching around in the manure we pulled from the little chicken coop to fertilize the garden looking for spare bits of grain.

__

Mike and I found all the fencing we needed and tomorrow night and every night this week, will continue in our work to have defensible space around our home for fire season and putting up fencing to keep the critters out of the garden. He and Russell put a substantial dent in the 4 foot tall weeds in the front. We're going to get those finished this week and till the front under. I'll be ordering the rock I need at the end of this week and deciding once and for all on color.

I had been thinking about it, and if we go dark red lava rock only, that it will make it really hot out front. I'm going to go back to the nursery and rock places and see what I can get for what price. I may do some red lava rock, some pea gravel and some light brown rock. I want to make a dry river bed on the front for drainage, so I'm thinking I could do a combination of all those rocks at the edge and then put in the rocks we collected out of the yard for the bed itself. Of course, I'm going to have to dig in the french pipe I want under the eaves and have it feed to that.

I'm going to talk to people a little and plan accordingly. I guess I want to bounce my ideas off of people before I do it, but bottomline -- $1000 is a lot cheaper than digging a well for $4-6K.



There's a small wild fire burning about 3 miles north east of our house. I will not forget last year's 11,000 acres that burned all around us.

No comments: