Tuesday, November 05, 2002

I have a job. It'll be at the legislature until the end of June. At that time, Mike and I will buy a house. We already have the money stuff figured out, so it'll be a blast. We've paid off one card. Only a half dozen more to go. *gah* We are going to buy something with land and then I will see how far I want to go with my organic produce dreams.

Most importantly, I am quilting for my friend CS. She is diabetic and just had her third child. Apparently, this child is a great helper because the baby was overproducing insulin to compensate for her Mom's high sugars. The baby is in the neonatal intensive care unit, while the hospital works to get her pancreas back to normal and I feel like with each piece of the quilt that I am finishing another prayer. It feels like prayer squares. I have 25 nine patches done and have 24 more to go. I have lots of things to cut out and each cut, seam, press of seam, and fabric choice, feels spiritual to me.

I am still walking regularly. I walk every day but Monday for a half hour and then I walk an hour on one weekend day with my friend LaDawn. My sugars are nearly perfect right now. I do have my moments. Halloween is what I would call a "moment," but my highs are low ones (140). I got a new glucometer to test in my arm because my fingers are getting so scarred and calloused that it makes it hard to get blood, but I haven't actually figured out how to make the arm blood thing work yet. I can get blood, but the meter doesn't work as the manual says it should. I am going to make my engineer husband see if he can program it properly and then I'll try again. I am also lotioning the everliving crap out of my hands. Keri is so very....moisturizing. I am going to keep walking. My sugars have been normal for the most part in the morning. Today they were 89. But two days ago, they were 110, which was higher than it should be, but pretty amazing for most diabetics.

I think the thing I keep noticing is how many excuses I have for not going to get my HbA1c done. My doctor isn't going to bother worrying about my cholesterol because of last year's 137 and my good ratios, but I worry about how bad it will be. I haven't been eating in a way that makes me proud of me. I am not hideous, but I always fuck around with it. I test it with a snack size candy bar and then test an hour later to see if I paid (usually not). This morning, Genny was into everything, so I had a hard time getting a shower, much less a meal. I went to LaDawn's to drop her off and LaDawn gave me a candybar so I wouldn't pass out and made me a hot dog. Not exactly health food.

Mostly, I am really really tired. I slept heavily today. I could chalk that up to the weather change -- we're expecting snow tomorrow, but I think it's more accurate to assume that Wonder Woman is back and working me to death with her unreasonable expectations of myself.

I just wanted to say hello. I also wanted you to say a prayer for a darling baby girl's pancreas and pray that it settles down and learns to regulate her little body's sugar levels normally.

No comments: