Sunday, October 09, 2005

I just heard a news story on the 11 o'clock news that said that there was severe flooding in my home town area and that the Governor of New Hampshire has declared a state of emergency there.

Two people are dead, and there are several missing. Lots of roads and bridges are out.

What you have to understand is that there aren't a detour routes in New Hampshire. Basically, there's one road to most places and maybe one back route and several of those places are simply unreachable. I looked at a map of the area and compared that against a newspaper article of all of the roads and bridges that are gone and it's pretty freaky. I know that there are places my mom won't be shopping any time soon.

I can't call my parents because it's 230AM there, so I'd be taking my life into my own hands. I also know that they didn't mention our town, but several surrounding towns and that my parents' farm is on a hill, so while they may have some flooding they're not likely to be cut off from anything. Also, our town wasn't listed as one of the ones affected in any of the stories, just Keene, which is the big main tow.

However, the main town where my mom and dad get groceries had flooding of 4-6 feet, so I don't know if they'll be able to get what they need for a few days anyhow.

Mike was all jazzed because he set up a recumbent bike, for me and spent a couple hours doing so, and I'm in here bawling and searching the internet for information rather than using it. Tomorrow, after I talk to my mom, I'll go use it. I promise.

I'm just freaking out until tomorrow morning.

No comments: