Monday, May 30, 2005

Genny was the last to catch pink eye from daycare. We thought we had evaded it because all the kids were clear, but this morning, she woke up and Daddy had to pry open her eye by hand and remove all the eye boogers. I called the pediatrician on call and asked for eye drops. She's good as gold about trying to lay there while you drop them in her eyes, but she's only 5, so I'm not sure how much I can expect.

We've pretty much had her stay in her bedroom to keep her from the rest of us. We set her up with the DVD player that we use in the car and she's watched Pooh movies and Mulan today. And she periodically comes out and talks to us and shows us stuff. When Daddy was working on the sink and talking about not having the right tools, Genny offered to go get him her plastic hammer with a very serious tone of voice. Daddy told her that it wasn't necessary as a hammer probably wasn't the right tool for this job, but thanked her very much.

Tonight, we barbecued hamburgers. We were going to have a big full blown barbecue with friends and Genny's illness ended that. We offered to try to keep her from folks, but said we totally understood if folks didn't want to come. Everyone begged off, of course. Disappointing that we had to call it off, but we ate outside on the picnic table this evening and it was lovely. I need to buy about 2.5 yards of vinyl table cloth fabric at Walmart, though, so I don't have to scrub down the picnic with a scrub brush and soap every time we use it.

I just made burgers, salad, and beans. Very yummy and summery. We ate some pickles that I made last summer which were delicious and crisp! I'm sooo growing cucumbers again this year!

The stupid rototiller is broken. What's wrong with it, is exactly what I told Mike was wrong with it -- that the gas was old and needed to be siphoned off and replaced. He ignored me, tried starting it anyway, and now it has something resembling semen in the gasline and won't work. He has to buy a carbeurator kit and fix it. Stupid men. I told him he needed to tell the guy who told him what was wrong with it that I had essentially told him so. The guy says he hates when his wife is right, but that it doesn't happen very often. Mike smiled sheepishly and told the guy, "It happens all the time at my house. She's almost always right." The guy said,"Geesh, that'd drive me crazy."

You can't be driven where you already are, I say.

Because the tiller is broke, the garden is not in and remains in pots outside the garage and back yard. I think the wild bunnies may have found my big potted basil planter because one of the new basil plants had half a leaf torn off it on the bottom. I think I'm going to get out the red pepper and make it an unpleasant place to eat for bunnies. My front flower bed is beautiful -- irises, evening primrosese (kind of like pink poppies), California poppies, thyme, and other assorted purple and blue flowers. I still have some weeding to do, but it's still looking pretty lovely and I enjoy sitting out on the porch in my rocking chair and watching the sun go down and eyeing over my flowers.

I guess it gives me more time to have a broken tiller because I'm going to have to hunt down horse poop for the garden. We need it badly. Apparently, there are places around here to get it for free. Woo!

Beyond the garden, the house is relatively clean. My hope is that I will not be running about like a chicken with my head cut off this week, so that I actually have home time. Tomorrow, I have to keep Genny home, so I think I'll just stick a sheet on the couch and let her sit out with me and watch TV or whatever. I was hoping to have time with her this week, and I guess tomorrow will be it.

I've done more laundry this weekend than I have drawer space for. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it all. I've got to get the winter stuff out of the drawers and boxed or hung in the closet. *sigh* It's been in the 70s and 80s for a couple weeks now, so time to swap out clothes. I've already got Genny's swapped somewhat. I'm working on Russell and myself.

I need a few more hours in the day. I tell ya.

No comments: