Friday, January 16, 2009

I don't think I've ever been so grateful for Friday and 5 o'clock. Hitting Friday made me want to get on my knees and thank God for it, in my employer's parking lot. I wished heartily that company policy would permit me to wear this t-shirt, but alas, no, t-shirts with a message violates company dress code.

Co-workers commented on the 84 fluid oz of diet dr pepper I had over the course of the day and I reminded them of the coffee this morning. To be fair though, the instructor is an old smoker and so has poor circulation and is on the mistaken impression that our training room is comfortable at 84 degrees or more, despite being only a hollowed out set of cubicles in the bowels of bureaucratic hell. I fully expect the devil himself to pop out of my computer with the whips, chains and other implements of torture to finish me off. When we gripe enough at the instructor, he remembers to go poke the construction crew to turn stuff on the way they should and the room airs out fast. By that time, we've reached comatose levels of on-the job training.

And I'm fucking tired. I haven't worked a 40 hour week since teaching and I spent every single night of that falling flat on my face and then, I blew my weekends in a fetal position in bed. Without the option of a nap or a day to sleep in between days at work, I'm wiped out tired. I am not yet accustomed to getting to bed at a decent hour either, and I'm having a difficult time juggling taking sleeping meds and stomach meds. I can only take sleeping meds, 1 hour before or 4 hours after stomach meds. If I take them 1 hour before, I'd be asleep by the time I had to take the stomach stuff. The other choice is to remember to take them when I get home, which might work, if I can just remember.

It's hard though because I miss everyone so much and they miss me, so I get distracted with spending precious time with them.

What's worse is that about the time I get my clock reset for working 8-5, the hours will change to 6-3. While overall, I think those are probably better hours for my family than graveyard shift, most anyone who knows me, knows fully well, that I am not, nor have I ever been a morning person. Morning is a time zone allotted for crazy people who do not require caffeine to open their eyes.

So for the moment, my caffeine intake is at insane levels. I think sleeping this weekend as much as I want will help.

Other people are party animals on the weekend. I'm a hibernating animal.

No comments: