Monday, June 21, 2004

Well, hope does wax eternal, huh?

I got in big squashes, bell peppers, and cucumbers today and then, Mike helped me to fence them in to try to keep the Watership Down bunny contingent the HELL out of my garden. If I come out to nubs tomorrow morning, I am ordering wolf pee and FUCK scaring the cat and chickens. Coyotes are competitors with wolves, though if there's a wolf around, the coyotes will leave. There are so many freakin' bunnies this year and they've eaten all of my pepper plants -- some down to nubs, including the habaneros, which apparently, they really really like, the bastards. Predator pee will keep away the stuff you don't want. At least, that's the theory. I'm willing to try that before I start killing bunnies.

We can put a plywood door on the shed that houses kitty and that annoyed coyotes can howl at her from OUTSIDE her shed. The chickens are cemented around their henhouse, so nothing can get in or out, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable about their safety in the wake of a coyote visit. The only critter I'd worry about is Kitty and I think if we put doors on her side of the shed, it'd be okay. Tonight, though, wow, the coyotes came down the hill about 10PM and whooped it up and left.

There's just bunnies everywhere and while I'd planned to put stuff on the hill, I know for a fact that there's warring squirrels up there, and I don't have the patience to squirrel proof the garden. Well, that and the soaker hose is all down here and I've been too damned tired to deal with it.

One of these years, I'm putting in a garden complete with sugar peas and pole beans. Hopefully, NEXT year, I'll have my thyroid meds ok and no other unpredicted disaster will happen and I'll have a garden full of yummies.

For now, I'm going to cut down about half the tree that shades the garden because it shades the garden and it's uglier than hell.

Overall, I'm feeling less wiped out, but then today, I had a couple times where my sugars absolutely bottomed out on me, and then, of course, I felt like crap. Right now, however, I smell like bagged steer manure and I'm awfully itchy like the bugs are still on me from the garden.

If I find bunny damage in the morning, the war is on and I will be pulling out the big guns to kill, scare, and maim local area bunnies. There's no sweet freakin' Thumper at my house, only rabid Plant Killers. I have to put the pansies in the foot tall pots on the porch so the little shits don't eat 'em. Petunias go in hanging baskets for the same reason.

Did I mention that I am fast becoming a hater of cute bunnies?

No comments: