Sunday, June 20, 2004

I have been feeling better because I'm doing way too much and I feel scramblingly far behind, somehow, though behind what, I can only presume sagebrush, prolific as it is.

We got the chickens transferred to the new coop. Mike had all these ideas that he was going to scare the crap out of them, but I went out to help him and they were all snoozing on their roosts, so I simply picked them up and brought them to their new coops or handed them off to Mike. The little ones we can pick up two at a time because our hands are so big, so I'm standing out there handing chickens off to Mike in the dark. It was kind of weird.

The last chicken standing was on the roost and squawked her chicken head off when I grabbed her. I don't think she fully comprehended that she was the last chicken all alone in the coop without any food or water or even chums to warm her up. We slathered the one we call Turntail in the "no peck 'em" goop and they were actually not beating the snot out of each other in the coop, so it I'm hopeful she'll grow her feathers back. Otherwise, I am going to scope her out and toss her in the old coop with the new babies and wait til her feathers grow back.

After waiting two freakin' months to get my rooster, I think I may accidentally have another rooster and it specifically was a rooster type I didn't want. Sex links are superb layers, but Americaunas are not. The Americaunas lay pastel colored eggs -- they can be brown, pink, blue, lavendar, or mint green -- everyone calls them the easter egg layers. But Americaunas are really pretty birds. They have tufts around their faces and they are generally some variation of white and black speckled -- and these were all handraised, so they will snooze in my hands. I just thought it would be fun to have "easter egg" layers, so I bought a few in addition to the lot of sex links. I have a mix of gold and black sex links and some of them are so pretty. There's one that starts golden brown on its head and then its feathers morph to black, for example. Very pretty.

Mike got the front tilled under -- thank the lord. I can now give up my title of white trash with comfort. I tell ya.

The stupid dryer is out again, so I'm back to hanging laundry. At least, I'm feeling better than stepped on shit, so I have the energy to actually *do* the laundry.

We're waiting on pins and needles for the danged stocks to come through. If they don't come through tomorrow, my budget will become....interesting.

No comments: