Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Yesterday, for my learning disabilities class, I had to read an essay written by an ADHD woman, who suffered similarly to me as a child. I couldn't get through it without crying. It brought up so many old scars.

It also was affirming because I realized that I am making different choices in dealing with my son than my mother made with me and he'll be better for it. I know he's still going to bitch to Dr. Phil as many children do, but that I am working hard and it will pay off.

Today, I volunteered in a special education classroom at a local elementary school. The teacher has been up against a lot and it was heartening to realize what a huge difference I can make. I got several of his most troublesome kids through their work. There were a lot of ADHD-type bouncy kids. I realized that I am really good at this. I also felt so privileged that they let me in their classroom so easily.

I asked Russell after I got dressed, "Do I look like a teacher?" He smiled, and said, "Yeah, Mom. Just remember to be patient." I explained to him that it's a lot easier to be patient with someone else's kids than your own because your kids know all the things to do to tick you off and usually do them! He said, "I don't know all the things that tick you off." I smiled, "You may not think you do, but you do.It's the nature of children and parents to know the things that make the other crazy because they've known each other their whole lives."

He said,"I'm not trying to tick you off." I said,"I know. I don't mean to tick you off either, but sometimes we just do that ONE thing that drives the other nuts a little." He giggled and so did I.

"I love you, Mom."

I love you, too, Bear.

No comments: