Friday, December 13, 2002

Russell had the scaries last night. He came in at 5AM and crawled into bed with me, claiming that he'd heard footsteps outside. Mike went out and verified that there was nothing and that it was just the rain dropping heavily from the eaves. We're having a big storm with a lot of wind, so it makes the house sound creepy. As everyone's favorite neighborhood insomniac, I had been awake since 430AM, so it was okay to see him. Of course, him getting up, got Genny up, so I had to send her to the grumpy mo0se on the other side of the bed to get help putting her sleeper back on.

When Russell just asked if everyone could sleep together, mo0se groused on the other side of the bed and growled that everyone was to return to their own beds. He made Genny bawl her head off, so he had to get up and comfort her and tuck her in. Russell asked to keep his door open, we said that was fine, but to close our door (so our alarm didn't wake up everyone at 615. Mike will sleep through the alarm, however, that's what gets me up.

Genny, I'd expected to see because she had her flu shot yesterday and was running a bit of a fever last night and she was content to curl up on Daddy's lap, while Russell played video games.

This morning, I got a relief -- I got "terminated." When the shit hit the fan at Thanksgiving with recent events, I was sorely wishing I didn't have to work and with as little as I've been sleeping, my customer service skills were certainly less than stellar, I'm sure. They apologized profusely for having to let me go, but I talked to my boss afterwards and told her all the stuff that had been going on and she said she was glad that I could stay home and take care of kids. I am, too. They both said that if they heard of stuff, they'd let me know, but with all state budgets as tight as they are, I am not expecting much. I keep thinking I should be upset, but I'm not. The biggest problem is when we discovered that Mike had a huge raise it was after I'd already made the commitment to work.

I have been tossing around substitute teaching, and I think I'm going to stop tossing it and start doing it. I have my CBEST from years ago, which still should be valid. I have to pay for my fingerprinting, but once it's done, it's done. I can choose my hours, go to school part-time, work part-time or stay home with the kids for the time being until Russell calms down. I don't know what I want to do, but for now, I'm planning on a quiet holiday. I'll start putting things together for the sub credential and then try it for a bit and then see if I want to add anything more to the mix. I'm also going to talk to this place that does skills evaluation and helps you find your niche in the world. I feel so lost lately, so this would be a good thing for me to do.

No comments: