Thursday, December 19, 2002

It was a rough weekend with the weather we had. There was terrible terrible wind here. We were without power for 10 hours in the middle of a blizzard on Saturday evening. I drove in sleet to Kmart to lay in supplies and when I drove back it was snowing heavily. Mike had the fire going full blast and cooked sausages on shish kabob sticks for the kids. I stopped at McD's on the way back and bought a cheeseburger for me, as well as $100 worth of foods-we-could-stick-in-the-garage-to-keep-cold, hot dog buns, batteries, water, and a lantern/flashlight. When I came home, I hauled in an armful of wood for the fireplace. I've decided that if we buy a house around here, we are getting one with a backup heating source for winter.

Genny hadn't been feeling better and we took her to the urgent care on Saturday and she had a temp of 104.9 when I took her in. They gave her ibuprofen and checked her ears and low and behold, she had double ear infections again. I went to an ENT on Tuesday and he said that if she gets another ear infection in the next few weeks that yes, tubes would probably be warranted. Ladawn and I have been concerned about her speech and now, the recurring ear infections of late have been making me worry. We have an audiology appointment after xmas and a followup with the ENT.

And it's official, I'm going to experiment with grad school and a substitute credential. I'm talking to profs at the local university about obtaining a special education credential and then following that up with an ESL credential.

It's starting to snow AGAIN. Winterwonderland, my ass. You try shoveling this crap and it gets old fast.

I keep thinking though as I drive by the mountains and see the ever growing heaps of snow all around us, that there's a poem in it, but then again, I could just be suffering from cabin fever or insanity.

We saw the sun yesterday and I felt like a crack whore in need of a fix. It was 40 degrees or colder all day, and I was tempted to tear off all my clothes and dance naked through the snow just to get some sunshine on my body. I suppose when the horrified neighbors came over to ask me to please clothe myself because while the sun was blinding enough reflecting off the snow and they didn't need to see my bright white naked ass prancing about, I'd have had to forego my worship of the sun god and go back to my boring mediocre monotheistic existence, but it was kind of tempting. (Darn that jealous God thing!) Speaking of God, I saw my old priest at Costco today and then realized how much I miss my church and how I'm going to kick my husband's big fat butt out of bed on Sunday and we're going. It's not all his fault. I like sleeping, too, but I really want to go to church. I've missed counting off the advent sundays and the lighting of the advent candles -- a lot. We have an advent calendar, but we haven't been cruising the bible as much as I would like.

Why oh why did I look outside? What am I, some kind of sick masochist? It's snowing a-freakin-gain. There's also wind. I looked down south to these two big peaks and they were just aswirl with wind and snow. This doesn't bode well for this incoming storm. I guess the snow blown all over the roads again should have tipped me off some, too. Aw, sheee-it, now the snow is blowing off the roof, too! What sucks is that it's only December. We still have 5 more months to go of winter and already, I'm sick to death of it. Mostly, I'm just hating the cold because I have a hard time keeping warm. With my feet so dry though, I am enjoying the warmth of wool socks, though feeling like a creaky grandma regarding drafts. If there's even a mild draft from anywhere, I can find it. It creeps down my neck like dry snow and slithers down my back and settles against my spine like a leech to suck me dry of warmth.

I have to go brave the office depot in the next town to send my folks their box ups 2nd day. Maybe I'll wait for the hubbins to come home and we'll eat out, being that I forgot to put in the roast. :)



No comments: