Monday, October 18, 2004

I like the guy at the temp agency. He was funny. I called after my first day and asked if we should discuss tomorrow that I plan to take two weeks off at Christmas time and he said that he thought I should wait a few weeks. I giggled and said,"Oh, so I have time to make myself indispensable, huh?" He laughed and said,"Pretty much!"

The boss is kind of a persnickety German kind of guy. He goes into extreme detail on everything -- which is kind of German and kind of Engineer. He told me that when the lights in his office are off he is not in. Then he told me that when his door is closed that he doesn't want to be disturbed and when it's cracked, he's just shutting out noise.

Um, duh. I was trying hard not to burst into hysterical laughter. Both because he must think I'm retarded and because it was so expected of a German engineer. The other guy there was looking at both our faces and saw my eyes glinting, I know. I was trying to look away, but he was in the only place I could look.

I haven't yet told him that I have had 5 and a half years of German that I can't fucking remember to save my soul, though weirdly enough, I can get myself through most German magazines. I just can't speak/understand any more. I know he speaks a bit, but today he used Ersatz and all I could remember is that I thought that it meant sentence, but he had said paragraph in English, and that's not the plural that I would have expected (sentences), so I pretended I had no idea what he was talking about.

I'm a little embarrassed about abandoning my German heritage, so readily, but I still love sausage and mustard, so that should count for something!

No comments: