Thursday, July 29, 2004

Okay, rare for me to post twice in one day, but I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more.

I am livid at retailers who think that my 4 year old child should be dressing like a hoochy mama. Nevermind, that Mary Kate and Ashley, as featured at Walmart, have some pretty hoochy clothes -- showing midriff, cleavage, and way too much leg. Yo, I'd like my daughter to be able to bend over to pick up her dolly without showing the world her Winnie-The-Pooh underwear, okay? Nevermind, that I have to frequently sew a ruffle or a wide eyelet lace on a dress because dresses are short AND my daughter's tall, but today, a local radio station said that a "unnamed retailer" was featuring kids in fishnet stockings and mini skirts.

I thought -- oh, probably some little place in town -- just bad taste and stuff. So Genny brings me the newspaper (she calls it "the mail") and I poke around. No, it's a freakin' national chain! Someone should know better.

If you want to see the ad, you can put in 89502 for the zip code and skip to page 15 on their site. The two girls on the ends are wearing fishnet hose. The one on the right is wearing a faux leather mini skirt WITH fishnet hose. Note, that on the first page, the teenaged boy is grabbing the teenaged girls ass. I'm sorry, but what kind of message is that sending? I never thought I'd be flipped out about clothes or even clothes in a Gottschalks' ad, but I don't think it's cool to have kids as "sexy." Kids aren't sexy -- they're kids with a right to their childhood!

The day my under-18-years -old daughter wears a leather (faux or no) mini skirt with fishnet hose is the day, I rip all the clothes off her back and put her in a flour sack. Apparently, the sneakers with fishnet and mini skirts is all the rage and is supposed to cushion the blow of the idea that girls 12 and under are featured dressed or expected to dress like prostitutes.

I am thrilled, nay ecstatic that we don't get MTV, nor will we any time soon. Apparently, the sneakers with fishnet and mini skirts is all the rage for 4 year old! Children are drawing their fashion concepts from such fashion iconic white trash as Britney Spears. Joy.

I think we all go through our rebel stage at some point in our 20's when we wear that crap, but we thought we were cool and we were young women scamming for young men! To stick clothes like that on a kid is sick and it's wrong.

No comments: