Monday, January 06, 2003

My test results came back NORMAL!!!! I had a HBa1c of 5.7, when normal is 4-6, so diabetics out there may envy me and normal people should shrug! Whee! I also had good ratios on my cholesterols and all that, though my cholesterol is up, but I have been eating more red meat this year, so deservedly so.

We went to MIL's wedding.

I know I should stop at that. I went to the enemy's den and I know those you faithful readers who know all the implications thereof, are clutching your children and wringing your hands, saying,"For God's sake, why?!"

I went because my husband wanted me to. I bought the non-refundable tickets and then he asked me if I wanted to go, to which I replied, "No, I can't think of anything I'd rather not do." I made sure that we rented a hotel room and a car, so we wouldn't impose on anyone, though it was expensive and the money probably better spent elsewhere, but I wanted to do things the "right" way. I didn't want them to have anything they could bitch about.

So they bitched about the kids.

They had stark white carpet in their house -- even in their bathrooms, which to me is a sure sign of insanity, because only the insane would have a carpeted bathroom, but okay. We had to remove our shoes upon entry, but okay.

We were supposed to eat dinner there. The first night they had tacos, which aren't known for being neat eating and when I suggested that the kids might be better over the hardwood floor in the kitchen, I was informed that under no circumstances were chairs to be put on the hardwood floor, for fear of scratching the floor. So my children, for whom I usually have to use a snow shovel after each meal, had to eat tacos over the dreaded carpet. My son was told he wasn't to spill or he'd be in big trouble, which is pretty stressful for him because this is a child that can't tell that he has crap smeared from one end of his face to the other unless he sees it in a mirror. He lacks the sensitivity around his mouth for that because of all the speech problems, but he did okay. I was told I should hold Genny on my lap and feed her. I said,"I can't eat neatly myself, much less feed a child neatly whose face I can't really see." Grandma decided she'd feed her.

The wedding was only worse.

For the wedding, I made sure that we all wore similar clothing. Everyone had something purple on. Genny and I wore purple velour dresses, Mike wore a lavendar shirt with matching tie, and Russell wore a tie with some purple in it. I got Russell one of those little clip-ons because it was what there was at all the stores I went to. We all looked fantastic. I curled Genny's hair and bought special ties for her, so we could fancy her up. Genny screamed and squirmed through the whole thing, but she was cute as a button and you could tell she thought so, too. In the pictures of the wedding party, however, pictures were taken of my husband, my children, but not me at all. I thought it was kind of rude, but what else is new?

Genny flitted from place to place as children will do at a wedding. This was a small wedding and mostly family, so Genny seemed to be okay flitting from lap to lap. Unfortunately, Genny came and got Mike because the toilet had overflowed. She never plays with the toilet at home and I don't think she'd start, so we don't know if she came in, peed, and then flushed against someone else's plug or if she actually plugged it. She's two, so we can't ask her, but of course, she was blamed. Mike shut off the water, got the groom -- to get towels, and things seemed okay.

The next day, we left Russell with his uncles to play and we took Mike's brother and girlfriend with us and Genny to a local beer factory. While in the parking lot, I twisted my ankle on my way to buy batteries. It seemed okay, so I didn't say much and we did the factory tour. After sitting at the tasting table, when I got up my ankle was stiff and I was limping a little. We went to the gift shop and then back out to the car and we drove and got some food on the way home. I called to check on Russell, his uncles said he was fine, and I noticed that my ankle was throbbing. After we ate, we drove back to get Russell. My ankle had started to throb and I was hobbling badly to get back into the car and had slipped off my shoe to drive. I realized about 10 minutes from the hotel that I was shakey and starting to go into shock. I told Mike I was going to stop at the hotel and go to bed because it was pretty bad. When I got out of the car and tried to stand, when I put weight on the ankle I had to stop myself from screaming, so we got directions at the hotel to the nearest emergency room, while Mike's brother and girlfriend took Genny upstairs to their room.

When I got to the hospital, I was fully going into shock. I started to get the shakes and I was beginning to feel detached from myself. They wrapped me in a blanket and got me on a bed and elevated my foot. Then, they got me vicodan and x-rayed my foot.

It was not broken was the verdict, though obviously very sprained. They gave me a moon boot and crutches and sent me on my way. Exhausted, I crutched up to the house with Michael after phone calls were made to get kids, cringing at having had to leave them with family (Genny had been taken to her grandparents without a childseat!). This was when the fun began.

No comments: