Monday, October 16, 2006

Ok, I'll grant you, I'm fully hormonal about to bleed my panties any second, but I've got a bone to pick.

The school district has taken to a "healthy eating policy" this year I think it's great, way past due, and of course, far too short of healthy.

However, I'm not thrilled with the implementation. LaDawn sent her one of her sons with a bag of chips for lunch one day as a treat. The school informed him that he could not eat it. What the hell is this, the freaking cafeteria police?

What really pisses me off, after reading all of this stuff (see page 8 of the document) is that for their stupid fundraiser, they're having kids sell frozen cookie dough. The only apparent redeeming quality of any of this (no whole grains or low sugar options) is that they have zero trans fat. What the hell? I don't think we could send these cookies baked to school with our kids as snacks, but we're supposed to buy the white flour, high sugar, but zero trans fat by the $14 three-pound vat!

God forfend that they'd actually have whole grain flour, sugar alternatives/reduced sugar, low-fat foods in the cafeteria, either. I bet you they use spaghetti sauce with sweetners added, and they don't bother to grind vegetables into it and serve it on whole wheat pasta! I can about guarantee you that they don't use whole grain tortillas for taco/burrito day and that the beans are loaded with fat. I bet they don't use splenda/sugar blends in pastries, either. I also bet they don't use ground turkey in lieu of high fat poor quality hamburger in their "casseroles" either.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the menu my children eat at home would make most nutritionists jump for joy compared to what schools serve and that my children are less likely to develop diabetes, heart disease, and other nutritionally controlled diseases on the food I serve them. I'm a diabetic with 145 cholesterol and well-balanced high and low cholesterol. Even my triglycerides are off normal by only 1 point. I cook one meal for everyone in my house, so my kids eat what I eat. They also love diet soda as a treat.

What ever happened to expensive, thick and beautiful gift wrap, some kind of healthy alternative, or the freaking PTA fundraiser we just pitched buttloads of money to? O having the PTA hold a Christmas craft fair thing for the kids to shop for their families?

I know Genny really really wants to get a "prize" for selling cookies, but I am of a mind to just send a damned check and take her to a few friends and neighbors to sell a vat or two to someone else.

I hate hypocrisy at schools. I know it's rampant, but it's still fucked up.

No comments: