Saturday, November 27, 2004

I got a job working at a counseling center that serves people who are generally in rehab through the temp agency. I don't know if I want it forever, yet, but they're nice and it's doing service type stuff, so it's good for my heart.

Thanksgiving was really wonderful. Sarah came up and then after dinner, we drove to see Donna and Mel and family and had dessert and visited. It was fun. Genny and Lulu didn't want to part and were devising all sorts of ways to stay over at each other's houses.

Today, we woke up to about a foot of snow. It was so wonderful to just lounge in bed and watch the storm. I loved the curved icicles hanging from the eaves -- curved from the curl of wind. I remembered with a shudder that I used to eat those when I was a kid and was thinking about all the crap I must have ingested as a child. Gack.

We got the Halloween/harvesty stuff put away and Christmas decorations up. I miss putting up a real tree. We put up a small fake one because we'll be away, but damn. I miss the real thing. We had to limit our ornamentation to small ornaments that wouldn't break easily.

Genny was pretty cute today because she announced she was putting on her snow clothes and going outside. She then proceeded to put her boots on the wrong feet, claim that one glove was good enough because she could stick her hand in her pocket and then reached for a sweatshirt. Mommy gently suggested that her boots should go on the other feet, so that she could walk without falling down, found her a pair of matching gloves, and helped snap, strap, zip, and velcro her into her winter jacket with the butt protector (prevents snow from going up the coat). She had such a good time, that Mike was able to con her into going out to get the mail instead of him. He said he felt like a tyrant. I agreed. (Criminy, she's only 4, Mike!)

I wanted to get out of the house after two days tonight, so I went to the 7-11 and won $5 on the poker machines. I got 4 Aces and then skittered and slid my way back up the hill to the house on the big giant sheets of rutted ice we currently call roads here. The snow is still fluffy, so not really conducive to making snowmen or anything, either. I couldn't find the damned brushy thing for brushing all the snow off my van, so Ms. Brains that I am, I decided to use my coat and ended up pouring about half the snow on the windshield down my jumper.

Just shut up.

There's supposed to be more snow tonight and then the temps tomorrow night are supposed to drop into the single digits. We're going to go buy a heat lamp for the cat in the garage because it'll just get too damned cold otherwise, but we'll have to wait for the sun to come out and the roads to melt, even a little and take the all wheel drive van to get it.

I keep thinking of Lilo and Stitch. Stitch is the virtually indestructible alien who arrives in Hawaii thrashing lots of stuff, and when confronted by his creator who says he'll make him less fluffy next time, says, "But I like fluffy."

Winter is that kind of fluffy, funny, and virtually indestructible. But I like it. Come April, I'll be jonesing for crocuses and daffodils, but for now, I like fluffy.

No comments: