Thursday, February 05, 2004

I had the IEP meeting yesterday. There were 13 people there -- me, husband, a parent-to-parent advocate, two close friends, a district rep, the spec. ed teacher, the counselor, the reg. ed teacher, the principal, the clinical aide, the speech pathologist and the occupational therapist. Who says schools don't use intimidation to scare parents off?

However, in answer to that, my advocate said it was really good that I ran the meeting. The school district person had tried to run it, but I figure it is my kid and I called the meeting, so I had the right to run the agenda, which I had spent the past two weeks writing up, editing, and researching. I made copies of several strategy/methodology things for the regular ed teacher.

We agreed that he is going to be given less homework, and that his IEP needs a lot of work. They agreed to do all of the assessment testing I asked for -- even sensory integration. I was stunned.

Miracles really can happen.

No comments: