Monday, March 26, 2012

So about three years has passed in Virginia and the company that Mike's at is pulling operations out of Virginia and have offered us the option to move to Tennessee. We like the education levels here, especially for our gifted and talented daughter and that whole idea kind of shrivels the teacher in me. I'm sure it'll be good, but I'm thinking Virginia sure looks better on the education lists than Tennessee.

While one of my oldest online friends lives there and I'm dying to go there and see her, I also have strong considerations regarding living in the heart of the Bible Belt, where the bible thumping and revivals can rival the rhythm of a drum circle in Davis. Where in Utah, there's a Mormon church on every corner, the Baptists have the street corners covered here.

I also think it defeats a lot of the reason for moving here initially. I wanted to be able to see my parents a lot more. Right now, I'm getting to see them twice a year at minimum. I like that a great deal. With my father's diagnosis of Parkinson's, getting to see them is something I look forward to each and every time. Despite the fact that my mother is a little prickly, I've gotten used to it in my old mellowing age and I'm good with it.

Living in Tennessee will take us pretty far out of their travel routes and while we can drive and meet them somewhere, it's still going to suck. I like being able to cook for my parents. It's one of my favorite things to do.

We're trying to set up to fly out to Tennesee this weekend. Russell can watch Genny and I'll cook spaghetti ahead for them, so they'll have dinner for a few nights. I've never been there. Nashville isn't my idea of a good time either, so I guess I'm going to have to crank up the Dixie Chicks and suck it up.

No comments: